Anyone who is developing a brand should ask themselves: What are social media best practices that focus on developing the brand image? Brand image is huge! It’s the impression of your product held by real and potential customers. Brand image doesn’t just happen over night, it is developed over time. Since starting the above all, try something brand just 3 short months ago, and with the help of my Harvard Extension School course, Social Media and Branding, I have developed a list of some of the most elite social media best practices that I have found to be true throughout my journey.
Social Media Best Practices
- (1) Keep a consistent image and message across all social media platforms. This does not mean that you post the same content across all channels, in fact you do the opposite. You cater your posts to your audience on each platform. But you do want to keep your brand image and message consistent so your audience does not get confused. Take LinkedIn for example. LinkedIn’s image is consistent across all channels: Twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc. It is a picture with an astronaut and the saying, “you’re closer than you think.” The whole idea behind LinkedIn is that it will help you get where you want to go in life and this is easily recognized on each platform.
— LinkedIn (@LinkedIn) February 29, 2016
- (2) Follow and interact back. Following back and interacting with your audience is important. The more you engage with your audience the more it shows that you care about what your community has to say. This will grow your overall following too.
- (3) Follow the 80/20 rule. This means that you sell your product/service 20% of the time and the other 80% of the time you post free original, valuable, or entertaining content. Who wants to follow a brand that just sells itself 100% of the time? Not many people. People follow brands to learn and explore that particular industry, be entertained, and to obtain valuable information. If they are following a particular brand this means they are interested in it’s service or product already, however you don’t want to overwhelm them, which will ultimately steer them away from your brand.
- (4) Keep posts short and sweet. People LOVE pictures and videos so keep the writing to a minimum when posting and be sure to add in graphics like my tweet below.
— try something (@abovealltry) February 23, 2016
Some of my most popular tweets are ones where I post a short excerpt from a blog post, one that will grab peoples attention, and then I attach a picture to go with it. I guarantee it will work for you too, try it.
- (5) Respond to positive and negative feedback. Yes, that’s correct, even respond to negative feedback because it can only improve your brand. When you don’t respond to negative feedback it shows your audience that you simply don’t care. Your brand should constantly be evolving to better suit its audience, so if they have something negative to say you should take it seriously and make good out of it. Here’s an example from Xbox.
@psychocentauri Hey there, what troubles are you running into? Would you mind following us and 1 ^TE
— Xbox Support (1-5) (@XboxSupport) April 23, 2016
There are dozens of other social media best practices to develop your brand image, however these are the five I find to be most helpful. If you would like to share any of your own please comment below, we would love to hear them! -JC